The World Mission Sunday, the annual worldwide Eucharistic celebration for the Missions and Missionaries of the world is here again. This year, it is scheduled to be celebrated on Sunday, October 24, 2021. BETTY AMUKPO takes on some children on the significance of Mission Sunday in the Catholic Church and its range of activities. Read responses of these children.
‘The World Mission Sunday is a day set aside by the Catholic Church to renew its commitment to its missionary activity’
The World Mission Sunday is a day set aside by the Catholic Church throughout the world to publicly renew its commitment to the missionary movement and its missionary activity through prayers and sacrifice. Mission Sunday was instituted by Pope Pius XI in his papal decree in 1926. Since then the universal Church has dedicated the month of October to reflection, prayer for the mission. On that day Catholics gather to celebrate the Eucharist and to contribute for the work of evangelization. Phil 4:19 My God will supply.
The significance of the world mission Sunday in the Catholic Church:
1. It reminds us that we are one with the Church around the world and are committed to carry out the work of mission of Christ (Luke 10:1-3.)
2. We are to do charity and raise funds towards the work of evangelization to get to the ends of the earth for all to know Christ and support the missionary, especially those in difficult areas.
3. To preach the Gospel so that all will live in the light of Christ by volunteering to do the work of evangelism as contains in Isaiah 6:8″Here am I, send me “.
Peace be with us all “Amen.”
‘It teaches us how to give’
The World Mission Sunday in the Catholic Church is a day set aside for the Catholic Church throughout the World to publicly renew its Commitment to the Missionary and it teaches us how to give. Luke 6:38 says (Give and it will be given to you). It is celebrated on the second to last Sunday of October every year.
Its activities include:
1. Missionaries go into a community to teach about Jesus Christ and the Christian Faith.
2. Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus tells His Disciples to go and make Disciples of all Nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
3. Teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you.
‘It was created by Pope Pius XI in 1926 as a day of Prayers for missions’
World Mission Sunday is a day set aside for the Catholic Church to publicly renew its commitment to Missionary Movement.
It is celebrated on the next-to-last Sunday of October every year.
It was created by Pope Pius XI in 1926 as a day of Prayers for missions.
It is characterized by the giving of gifts by Catholics in order to help bring about God’s reign alongside Priests and religious Brothers and Sisters
‘The Catholic Mission operates in all countries to support initiatives in Dioceses’
The Catholic Mission operates in all countries to support initiatives in Dioceses, including remote Australia. Grassroots needs are identified by local Catholics to give the people the opportunity for full enriched life.
‘On Mission Sunday we are all invited to pray for missions, missionaries and contribute our quota to the work of evangelization’
The World Mission Sunday is a special day set aside by the Catholic Church throughout the world to publicly renew its commitment to the Missionary Movement, pray for missions and for giving material and financial support to mission. The significance of the World Mission Sunday: We participate in the mission of God, to bring good news that God is here and wants to give us life abundantly.
The Church mission is to carry out and continue the work of Jesus Christ on earth, the Church and those in it must share the word of God, to strengthen the members’ faith in God, wherever they may be, to move the work of salvation, to teach the gospel to the world, to save lives, to relieve suffering and help rebuild livelihoods and communities, and most of all, they must help those in need; To collect mission proceeds, bank and send to the Pope to help those in need all over the world. However, the funds raised on Mission Sunday are used to support the work of evangelization in mission territories. On Mission Sunday we are all invited to pray for missions, missionaries and contribute our quota to the work of evangelization.
‘Catholics worldwide unite at Mass to recommit to the vocation to be missionaries’
The World Mission Sunday is the universal day when the Church reflects its deepest identity as the Church in Mission. Catholics worldwide unite at Mass to recommit to the vocation to be missionaries. The World Mission Sunday usually holds on the fourth (4th) Sunday in October. This day is celebrated in all the local Churches as the feast of Catholicity so Christians the world over will recognize their common responsibility with regard to the evangelization of the world.
‘Raises funds for Missionary movement’
The World Mission Sunday created by Pope Pius XI in 1926 is a means to carry out and continue the work of Jesus Christ on Earth.
Some of its activities include:
• Teaches the faithful to be charitable,
• Raises funds for Missionary movement,
• Shares the Word of God,
• Help those in need,
• Provides justice, dignity and hope for humanity and all of God’s creation
‘It affords the faithful to be part of the mission as by giving they also become missionaries’
The significance of World Mission Sunday in the Catholic Church is as follows:
1. Through it the Church teaches us how to give.
2. It affords the Faithful to be part of the mission as by giving they also become missionaries.
3. It helps in the spread of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
We pray for and appreciate the clergy.