A clean environment is essential for healthy living. The more you neglect your environment, the more it would become polluted with contaminants and toxins that have harmful impact on our health. Air pollution may increase risk of heart attacks, asthma, bronchitis, and premature mortality while water pollution may increase risks of gastrointestinal illness, reproductive problems, and neurological disorders. The neglect of the earth and environment can be costly. BETTY AMUKPO tasks some children on the adverse effects of neglecting our environment.
‘Climate change, global warming, pollution’
In the book of Genesis 8:22 “While the earth remains, seed time and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.” God has designed the earth and our environment for us but our negligence of the earth is making it worse. The following are the effects of neglect of the earth and our environment.
1. Climate change,
2. Global warming
5. Desert encroachment
6. Acid rain
7. Petrochemical smog
8. Death of sea animals.
‘Lack of food, acid rain, photochemical smog’
Earth and environmental neglect is the failure to care for and protect one’s surroundings. The effects of neglect of the Earth and environment include the following:
• Lack of food
• Endanger our planet
• Destruction of Reefs
• Acid rain
• Climate change
• Photochemical smog
• Natural disasters which include flooding, wildfires and droughts. These effects affect the survival of entire ecosystems, plants and animals that rely on them.
‘Loss of life, illness and sanity, human trafficking and child abuse’
Neglect can be defined as the failure to take care of somebody or something that we ought to do. Effect of neglect of the earth and environment.
1. Loss of life
2. Loss of property
3. Illness and insanity
8. Unwanted pregnancy
9. Human trafficking and child abuse.
‘The chemicals and smoke from factories and homes destroy the ozone layer’
An effect is a change which is as result or consequence of an action, or an impression that artist deliberately creates by their style. A neglect is the state of being uncared for. An earth is the third planet, it is the only planet that harbours human-beings. An environment is the surroundings in which a person, animal, or plant lives. The effect of neglect of the earth and our environment are:
• Noise pollution, Air pollution, Land pollution and Water pollution.
• The chemicals and smoke from factories and homes destroy the ozone layer.
• Oil spillage on water contaminants the water and makes it useless.
• Cutting down of trees without planting new ones affect humans lives, oil on the land makes no tree to grow and to be fertile.
• It is caused by noise in the environment from factories and cars. Note: we must take care of the earth because it is where we live.
‘Ocean acidification caused by carbon dioxide gas in the atmosphere dissolving into the ocean’
The effects of neglect of the earth and environment can cause the following:
1. Global warming: The rising average of air temperature near the earth surface over the past 100 to 200 years.
2. Acid rain: lt is a form of air pollution when coal and petroleum are burned in vehicles, electric power and factories. They release certain harmful gases in the air. When water in the air comes down as rain or snow, it carries all these harmful gases.
3. Pollution: lt is the introduction of harmful materials into the environment. These harmful materials are called pollutants. lt can be land, air and water pollution.
4. Ocean acidification: This is caused by carbon dioxide gas in the atmosphere dissolving into the ocean. lt is mainly caused by the burning of coal, oil and gas in industries.
‘Degradation of the environment’
The Earth is the whole world while the environment is where we live and any neglect will have drastic effect on both human and animals. These neglect could be in form of climate change e.g. global warming, acid rain, photo chemical smog and other forms of pollution. We also have ocean acidification. Not caring for our environment leads to degradation of the environment. E.g. Polluted water means less water for all. Human, animals and plants will surely die. As God’s children we need to take care of our world because it is God’s world and we are stewards in the world.
‘Urban Sprawl, waste disposal, ozone layer depletion’
Our mother Earth is currently facing a lot of environmental problems such as: Global warming, acid rain, air pollution, urban sprawl, waste disposal, water pollution, ozone layer depletion, climate change and many more that affects humans, animals and nations on this planet.