The MCA Quiz Competition, with directions from the MCA National Body was held at Parish levels, Deanery levels, Regional levels and Archdiocesan level. The Encyclical Letters of Pope Francis was used for the competition and the MCA in collaboration with the Archdiocesan Laity Council ensured a smooth flow of activities at the various stages. The representatives of the four Regions competed at the Archdiocesan level with Lagos Region taking first position, Badagry and Ikeja Regions came second while Lekki Region emerged third. The competition was held at Our Lady, Queen of Nigeria, Clegg, Surulere, on Sunday, June 27, 2021. The next stage of the competition will be the Provincial which will take place at Ijebu-Ode Diocese.
MCA to hold Study Session 2021
The Annual Study Session for the School of Missionary Animators (SOMA), Lagos Archdiocese has been scheduled to hold on August 19 to 22, 2021, Lumen Christi Retreat and Media Center, Lekki, Lagos. The Study Session is organized to teach and equip MCA Animators with the knowledge, ideas and materials needed in teaching the children. The theme is “We cannot keep from speaking about what we have seen and heard. (Act 4:20)”.
By Chidume Chiamaka, Archangels’ Parish Satellite
Firstly, I want to start by defining “Human trafficking’. Human trafficking can be defined as the illicit/illegal transportation of persons from one country to another, for monetary purposes such as,prostitution,child labour,servitude,etc.
Causes of Human Trafficking
There are several causes of human trafficking, but I would mention a few;
2) Economic instability
6) Poor family background
7) Peer pressure.
Consequences of Human Trafficking
1) It brings bad Image to the country.
2) It leads to the contraction of various STD’s because 80% of trafficked persons are sexually exploited.
3) It leaves a stigma on the person involved.
4) It brings shame and disgrace to the respective families.
5) It brings low self-esteem on the trafficked person.
Ways of Preventing Human Trafficking
There are several ways of preventing human trafficking, namely:
1) Establishment of law enforcement agencies such as NAPTIP (National agency for the prohibition of trafficking in persons) to curtail human trafficking.
2) Stiff laws should be made against human trafficking. 3) Children should be taught on the dangers of human trafficking.
• Ms. Chidume Chiamaka, is a member of MCA, Archangels’ Parish, Satellite Deanery, Lagos Archdiocese.